Monday, September 24, 2007

Alaska!
Dad, Dave Dye and I spent 9 days up there. A great adventure. It redefined big.

Mt Iliamna
Crater of Mt _
Thankfully the copilot wasn't put into service
Our gracious hosts....we spent a great week with my Dad's cousin Tim and wife Nancy in Iliamna. They are owners and operators of Iliamna Air Taxi.
One of the highlights was a Beaver float plane trip with Tim.
We must have saw 30 bears from above and also a few at eye level. Here is Dave uttering a quick prayer that Mr. Brown stays content with salmon. While I suppose we could have gotten closer.....we had heard a few stories by this time.
Looking over the hood of a Beaver
Seward Harbor
A calving glacier in the Kenai Fjords National Park

And I have enough fishing photos to bore anyone to tears! The fishing lived up to Alaska standards, although we did work pretty hard for our fish. I think we fished 4 of the 5 days we were there.
The local Iliamna fishing hole on the Newhalen River
My pride and joy, a 24" rainbow trout :)
You'd think it was a whale
With some good coaching.....
Dave made it look pretty easy
And again
Arctic Greyling -Dad must have caught 20. These are pretty big ones.
They have a very nice large dorsal fin.
A special thanks to B. Getz, C. Sheahan and the Hickok family for Anchorage hospitality.
For more photos and a details of the trip, see Dave's website.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great trip Justin. I've been hoping you had something about it posted! Thanks

Justin said...

Well nice to get a comment from a new Alaskan. Good days to you up there. I'm slightly jealous of your new State!

Anonymous said...

awesome entry. Looks like a fantastic time. Alaska is the only state I haven't been to yet. Looks like I am definitely missing something!

Lane and Sylvia said...

Great pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them all. Looks like a great time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,
I used to think that baby blogs are the most interesting, but here you really made me change my mind :-)
These are great pictures and I like your courage of adventure.
Keep posting!

Justin said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm afraid this adventure will be tough to top; at the least it will certainly be awhile. And Derek, I strongly suggest you bump up your Alaska marketing to get up there! I think a person could get married on a glacier.

Unknown said...

Great to see your pics and also to hear a little about your trip from your dad. Alaska seldom disappoints - except when it comes to DQ :-)

Anonymous said...

I love that you held your fish right next to you rather than at arm's length so as to get the true perspective on how big it REALLY was ... but, ew, that's awfully close to be holding a big slimy scaly smelly fish!
Can't wait to hear more about your trip - what an amazing place, eh!? JZ

Anonymous said...

Great pics Justin! Very cool....thanks for sharing. It was great meeting you, your Dad and Dave. Looks like the rest of your fishing trip (post Anchorage)was grand...as expected!
Come on back to AK when you guys are ready for another excellent adventure :) I've got lots of room and always an open door...

Gin said...

So good to hear from you and catch up with you via your blog.. great AK photos! We'll have to catch up more on a non-blog one of these days!