Sunday, March 01, 2009

I was in my first sailboat race this past weekend. A client I've worked with over the years races often and asked if I wanted to fill in for one of his regular crew. It was more intense than I expected. Learned some things and it made me want to get sailing again!

Joel is the skipper in the blue hat, he's the client who invited me along.


The start line was chaotic! We were just off the Port of Olympia waterfront.
A nice breeze made the first half of the race a lot of fun.
The wind all but died at the end, making a pretty non-eventful finish.

Topping the day off with my first trip to Cabela's was a nice way to finish the trip south.

5 comments:

kateen said...

Are all of those animals at Cabela's real? Hmm! Always wondered what made the average Cabela shopping experience take 3 1/2 hours...wasn't the fishing lures, I guess. And how many stores do they have? Must have a taxidermist on the payroll :)

Justin said...

They looked real! They had an Africa section with a lion and Elephant among other things.

I would recommend dining on a Buffalo burger, that can lengthen your shopping experience. But 3.5hrs seems excessive. Unless you are waiting at the gun counter, that looked like an all afternoon proposition.

Anonymous said...

You can sail anytime. You should of gone to the Husky game.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you Saturday! Lets do some mtn biking soon.

I race with a crew that was there that day, we were off to Montana so I didn't go - you gonna do it again? Let me know, you can come over for dinner afterwards(unless you beat us, then forget it)

We stopped at the Cabelas in Idaho and also had buffalo burgers- wild boar and ostrich too :)

Justin said...

I think Joel's boat is named Marantha or something close to that. Sound familiar? They aren't in the fastest fleet but one step above the cruising fleet I think. I don't think I'll be a regular crew, an occasional fill-in maybe.

Getting down your way sounds good. Thanks for the invite.